Reconstruction of the church of Smolensk Icon of the Holy Mother

  • 6
  • 8
  • 9
  • 6
  • 8
  • 9

 

In 2011, during construction of Expoforum congress and exhibition center in Shushary, a fragment of the church of Smolensk Icon of the Holy Mother that was demolished in 1943. A decision was made to reconstruct the cultural monument and in 2012 construction of the new temple commenced according to the drawings and paintings of the architect Giacomo Quarenghi.
Quarenghi was inspired by the buildings of the great Italian architect Andrea Palladio and was building in the Palladian style that was new for Russia. Fancy baroque splendor was replaced with the strict classicism, while the traditional Russian cross and dome plan was replaced by Latin compositional solutions.
One of the most illustrative examples of such fashionable novelties was the Smolensk church. The temple of a compact rectangular shape with a prominent altar on the eastern wall had 2 bell towers on both sides of the main entrance.

 

 

To implement the project of architectural lighting of the church, IntiLED lighting equipment was used.
The main task was to maintain the integrity and harmony of the evening image of the building, thus, even flood light classical for religious structures was selected.
The ideal solution included 36 spot luminaires of IntiSTARK series of warm white light with 3 types of optics 10°, 30°, 60° installed on decorative general lighting supports along the entire perimeter of the building. The cases of the luminaires were painted in the support color.
On the eastern facade of the Church the Smolensk Icon of the Holy Mother located in the niche of the altar apsis is locally lit with IntiTOP series luminaire of warm white light. Equipment was supplied and installed by Demetra company.

 


lighting equipment